By this time of year, we are all knee deep in summer squash. I have been eating it raw in my salads all summer long, and I cooked some up with Zucinni and mushrooms a couple times too. I also made some Polish squash pancakes a few times. Now I am ready to preserve it in a way where the kids can eat it all winter long. In order to do that, I will disguise it in some Chocolate quick breads.
Chocolate Summer Squash Bread/Cake
- 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 1 cups sugar (I used powdered Stevia)
- 1 cup Apple Sauce (I put 1/2 coconut oil/1/2 apple sauce)
- 2 cups grated Squash
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached flour ( I grinded my own wheat berries)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 350 degrees Lightly grease two 9×5 inch loaf pans. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate until melted. Stir occasionally until chocolate is smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, apple sauce, grated squash, chocolate,vanilla. beat well. Next Stir in the flour baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Pour batter into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a loaf comes out clean.
I tripled this recipe. I wanted to make muffins with it to. I let it all cool, and then frozea bunch of it to have for the winter months.